Forum

We want this forum to be a lively and well used resource for the whole of the village. Use our forum to ask questions about the village, post comments and promote village events, but please use the forum responsibly and take the time to read the conditions of use on the right.

Travellers site

<< Back to topics Post a reply

Posted: Sun 2 Oct 2016 @ 21:48 by Nell

how is that Elvington has ended up with a permanent travellers site at Holme Lea? I was under the impression that this was a temporary stay site but the same 20ish caravans have been there since about June. Also, the children have been placed in the village school with more due to start. For the reasons given at the last Local Plan consultation this is an inappropriate development for a green belt village location such as Elvington with limited amenities, including a small school. 

While the previous plan for a site in the village did not go through it appears as though York City Council has allowed a site to be created through the back door. 

Is is the Parish Countil doing nothing to communicate with the City Council about this? 

Posted: Sat 15 Oct 2016 @ 20:29 by Spooky

As I understand it the licence is for a touring caravan site, as such it will have a limit on the length of stay, usually 28 days but might vary due to local planning laws.Ask the council to look into it.

Posted: Mon 31 Oct 2016 @ 16:26 by Buttercup

Are you really saying that gypsies aren't welcome in the village school???? Stop being so snobby!

Posted: Mon 31 Oct 2016 @ 17:50 by Reg

Buttercup, I think you wilfully misrepresent what is being said. There is nothing snobby about expecting planning rules to be applied. The fact is that it is supposed to be a temporary but is obviously not being used as such as the children have been at the school since the beginning of September until now. As such, it appears to have become a permanent site. If I wanted to build a lighthouse on the village green you would object because it would contravene planning rules, not because you were prejudiced against lighthouse dwellers. 

Posted: Mon 31 Oct 2016 @ 20:45 by Buttercup

Post deleted by Buttercup on 31 Oct 2016

Posted: Wed 1 Feb 2017 @ 11:58 by Reg

I was speaking to a few people at the weekend who are struggling to sell their houses. But what do they expect really? Perceptions of Elvington as a place to live have changed somewhat with the new site.

Posted: Sun 5 Feb 2017 @ 15:30 by Spooky

It appears that CYC have different rules for different people and have so far ignored requests from the Parish Council regarding the legality of the way the site is used.

Posted: Mon 3 Apr 2017 @ 12:30 by Reg

I see that the owner of this land is now applying for a permanent managers office and dwelling to be allowed on Holme Lea. A further step towards this being a permanent travellers site, although it appears to be already. Such developments are not permitted in the green belt but the Council seem to be happy with it.

Posted: Wed 5 Apr 2017 @ 00:19 by Halifax B

For anyone interested in the real history of Elvington and not worried about property prices.....

I believe "Holme Lea" was originally a make-shift hospital site during WW2 for RAF, however I believe the buildings were on the west side of the main road in that location..

Anyone know more about this and if it is correct?

HB